Friday, March 7, 2014

It's the little things

It's official. I can feel it coming (in the air tonight...thank you Phil Collins). That's right, ladies and germs, there are certain Limited Time Only foods available right now letting us know springtime is upon us!

Now, I know what you're thinking. "Kay, you ignorant slut. How can you claim spring is coming when it's eleven degrees outside? Not to mention, the snow's so deep we let little Woofer out to poop on New Year's Day and we haven't seen him since! Now, enough of your lame-assed rambling, Candy Crush is calling you."

Well, can it. Spring is coming, and I have the Girl Scout cookies to prove it. That's right, once again some dear friends of mine who shall remain nameless (#teamsheehan) gave me the Catholic mother guilt trip to goad me into buying my weight in Thin Mints. Okay, I exaggerate, and furthermore, it's impossible to NOT buy cookies this time of year for so many reasons. It's for a good cause! Frozen Thin Mints are delectable! You're an '80s nerd who is desperately hoping a troupe will bust out "It's Cookie Time" from Troop Beverly Hills! And speaking of mint...

I don't care for the shamrock shake. Don't ask me why. I'm part Irish, I have no aversion to green beverages (hello, Tony Jaros'), and Lord knows I've sucked down my fair share of milkshakes in my time. I have been known to have one for lunch on occasion (very comforting when having a bad week and you don't have Mom to make you PB&J and a Fruit Roll Up). But every year when they make their blessed return, Noah does a happy little jig, drains the cup, and spikes it like he just got the winning touchdown against the Hawkeyes (who hates Iowa?). Meanwhile, I eat my sad little cheeseburger and lament the demise of everyone's favorite jingle. Give me back that Filet o' Fish, gimme dat fish!

Speaking of commercials (yes, I am going to use the same segue twice in this post. You don't like it, read a better blog), there are two holiday commercials that I refuse to fast forward through. The first one is that Hershey's Kisses commercial they show over the holidays where they're bells playing "We Wish You a Merry Christmas." It always makes me misty because it reminds me of how Grandma Goin (miss her dearly) would always have a bowl of red and green Kisses on the mantle where the grandkids' stockings hung. The other is the Cadbury Egg commercial with the animals auditioning to be the Easter bunny. Part of it is nostalgia, part of it is because I used to devour those whole when I was younger and could handle that much sugar. But when it all comes down to it, it's a bunch of animals with big bunny years on, and that is amazing! Well played Cadbury, and thanks to you also for your Mini Eggs, aka Easter Crack. May I find you in my basket again this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment